Sybase Recommends Customers Implement
Guardium’s Database Security and Auditing Solution
WALTHAM, Mass. (August 4, 2009) — Guardium, the database security company, today announced enhanced support for Sybase’s enterprise data management platforms. Guardium delivers fine-grained auditing, real-time monitoring and automated vulnerability assessment for Sybase’s core Database Management System (DBMS) platforms, including:
· Sybase ASE 15, for high-performance, mission-critical applications.
· Sybase IQ, the world’s leading column-based analytics server, for the most challenging business reporting and analytics requirements. Support for Sybase IQ 12 is currently shipping in Guardium 7, with support for Sybase IQ 15 available in Guardium’s next major release.
A recent data breach study by Verizon Business RISK Services revealed that database servers account for 75 percent of all compromised records during 2008, while other IT assets such as laptops and backup tapes account for less than 0.05 percent of compromised data.
Guardium’s scalable platform uses centralized, cross-DBMS policies to immediately identify unauthorized or suspicious activities in real-time, without relying on database-resident logs that add overhead and can easily be disabled or modified by privileged users, and thereby enforcing separation of duties. Forrester Research named Guardium “a Leader across the board” in enterprise database auditing and real-time protection, with Guardium earning the highest overall scores for Architecture, Current Offering and Product Strategy (“The Forrester Wave: Enterprise Database Auditing And Real-Time Protection, Q4 2007,” October 2007).
“Our customers in industries such as finance, government and telecommunications safeguard some of the world's most critical data," said Brian Vink, vice president, database product marketing, Sybase. "The combination of Guardium's security and auditing solution with our industry leading database and analytics platform empowers customers with real-time protection of high-performance, mission-critical applications and streamlined compliance processes."
In addition to providing automated detective controls and compliance reporting for SOX, PCI and data protection laws, Guardium 7 offers S-GATE™, the industry’s only cross-DBMS solution for blocking administrators (such as outsourced DBAs and developers) from viewing or changing sensitive data. Guardium 7 allows organizations to:
· Protect against data leakage by looking for unauthorized queries as well as sensitive data in query results. Unlike traditional Database Activity Monitoring (DAM) technologies that only inspect inbound queries, Guardium 7 monitors traffic both to and from DBMS servers, allowing organizations to immediately identify a query that returns thousands of credit card numbers or sensitive VIP data, for example, thereby deviating from normal operations.
· Ensure data governance by preventing unauthorized changes to critical data values or database structures. Guardium also reduces IT costs by integrating with existing change ticketing systems, such as BMC Remedy and HP ServiceDesk, for automated change reconciliation.
· Identify end-user fraud performed via multi-tier enterprise applications such as Oracle EBS, PeopleSoft and SAP.
· Discover sensitive data in databases for compliance with privacy requirements such as PCI-DSS and NIST 800-53.
· Enhance database security postures with automated vulnerability tests and configuration auditing, including identification of missing patches, misconfigured privileges, failed logins and policy violations such as sharing of privileged credentials.
Guardium‘s scalable enterprise platform streamlines operations with a single unified set of security policies for all major DBMS platforms – including Sybase ASE and IQ, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, Informix, MySQL and Teradata – without impacting performance or requiring changes to databases or applications.
Guardium, the database security company, delivers the most widely-used solution for preventing information leaks from the data center and ensuring the integrity of enterprise data. Founded in 2002, Guardium was the first company to address the core data security gap by delivering a scalable enterprise platform that both protects databases in real-time and automates the entire compliance auditing process.
The company’s enterprise security platform is now installed in more than 450 data centers worldwide, including 3 of the top 4 global banks; 3 of the top 5 insurers; top government agencies; 2 of the top 3 retailers; 15 of the world’s top telcos; 2 of the world’s favorite beverage brands; the most recognized name in PCs; a top 3 auto maker; a top 3 aerospace company; and a leading supplier of business intelligence software.
Guardium has partnerships with Sybase, Oracle, Microsoft, IBM, BMC, EMC, Accenture, McAfee and ArcSight, with Cisco as a strategic investor, and is a member of IBM's prestigious Data Governance Council and the PCI Security Standards Council.
Sybase is an industry leader in delivering enterprise and mobile software to manage, analyze and mobilize information. We are recognized globally as a performance leader, proven in the most data-intensive industries and across all major systems, networks and devices. Our information management, analytics and enterprise mobility solutions have powered the world’s most mission-critical systems in financial services, telecommunications, manufacturing and government. For more information, visit http://www.sybase.com. Read Sybase blogs: http://blogs.sybase.com.
Guardium and S-GATE are trademarks of Guardium, Inc.